Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Clogger.com

There are certain products that are challenging to purchase while at the same time maintaining your dignity.

The other day, I arrived home from work, and to my dismay, my toilet would not flush. It's not like me to clog toilets, I swear. I recognize the need to preserve our forests, and I go easy on the toilet paper compared to some people I know, who construct nests large enough to house an entire flock of condors on top of the toilet seat before using the bathroom.

After several failed attempts, I realized that my toilet was definitely not going to drain by itself. I searched my condo for a plunger, hoping to find one hiding in the corner of one of the closets I usually neglect. Once I realized I was not going to find one, I was hit with a wave of anxiety. I thought about ways to cover up what was really going on: I could buy a soap dispenser, a couple of throw rugs and a set of towels, that way it would look like I had just moved in, and buying a plunger would be no big deal. It would look like I was preparing for a "just in case" scenario, and I wouldn't have to encounter anyone while holding a prop that said "Hi, my name is Evan, I take huge shits that clog my toilet, nice to meet you."

The problem with buying an entire bathroom set is that I didn't need one, and I didn't feel like driving to Target twice in one day to return it. I started thinking of ways to explain myself to the cashier. I could say that my wife is on this high-fiber diet that's really causing problems.

Upon entering Target, I decided to call a friend, because nobody should have to shoulder that kind of burden alone. I casually walked to the back of the store as if I were there to purchase something as innocent as a frying pan, and grabbed the plunger once I had arrived in the appropriate section. From here it was a race to make it to the front of the store while being spotted by as few Target patrons as possible. I saw a beautiful girl several yards away, and made a beeline for the boys clothing section, where I ducked below a rack of t-shirts. I weaved my way through a maze of products, and finally made it to the register. I was still on the phone with my friend, who was offering me moral support, as the acne-speckled teen scanned my plunger and put it in a shopping bag, which hardly acted as a disguise.

I arrived back at my condo victorious, relieved that I will never have to make that purchase again as long as I live. God help me if I ever become incontinent.

4 comments:

  1. hahahahaha! Awesome. You sound like me buying tampons. Back in the day, I mean. I'd like to think I've matured a bit since high school, but I think we both know better.
    Love the titles, by the way. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna come over and shave small slits into the wood on your plunger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rev Ev the Plunger procurer. Good work. I would probably pour some Liquid Plumber on it and call it a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ghost of Hayzee lives on.

    ReplyDelete